Maine Man Dead after Motel Fire
The State Fire Marshal's Office says a fire in a motel room in Rockport that claimed a man's life early Monday morning was likely caused by smoking.
Firefighters from Rockport and 5 surrounding communities responded to the fire at the Schooner Bay Motor Inn on Route 1.
A local police officer had pulled 53-year-old Kevin Stanley from his burning room. He and a motel guest performed CPR but were unable to revive him.
Occupants of the other rooms at the motel were evacuated safely. Three rooms were badly damaged in the blaze.