The State Fire Marshal’s Office, working with the Farmington Police and Fire Departments, has released the names of the victims of Monday’s explosion in Farmington.

Farmington Fire Captain Michael Bell, who was 68, was killed. He was a 30-year member of the fire department.

The six other Farmington Firefighters injured were Fire Chief Terry Bell, 62, who Michael Bell’s brother; Captain Timothy D. Hardy, 40; Captain Scott Baxter, 37, and his father, Firefighter Theodore Baxter, 64; Firefighter Joseph Hastings, 24, and Deputy Fire Chief Clyde Ross, who was treated and released from Franklin Memorial Hospital. The five other injured firefighters are being treated at Maine Medical Center in Portland and all sustained serious injuries.

Chief Bell, Hardy, Scott Baxter and Hastings are full time members of the fire department.  Michael Bell, Theodore Baxter and Ross are part time firefighters.

Also injured in the explosion was 60-year-old Larry Lord, a maintenance worker at the facility.  Lord was flown to Mass General Hospital in Boston.

Fire Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office will be joined by fire investigators from ATF and will begin processing the scene Tuesday to pinpoint the source of the explosion.

Firefighters had been called to the building along Route 2 at 8:07 AM for a propane smell in the building.  The explosion took place minutes later.

The two-story building, with a new addition recently opened, was flattened.


FARMINGTON, Maine (AP) — Maine officials say Farmington's fire chief is among the six injured in a propane explosion that killed a firefighter.

State public safety spokesman Steve McCausland said after Monday morning's explosion at a nonprofit center in Farmington that five people remain hospitalized.

McCausland says an ambulance worker was treated and released. Town Selectman Scott Landry says one nonprofit employee is also hospitalized.

Gov. Janet Mills is from Farmington, and her office says she knew the firefighter who died. She says she is sending her condolences.

The explosion occurred after firefighters arrived to investigate the smell of gas at the recently constructed building. Farmington is about 70 miles north of Portland.

Mills promises an investigation that will provide answers.

More From