Listen to ‘Girl Crush’ Performed Symphonically by Songwriter Hillary Lindsey
You've not heard Little Big Town's "Girl Crush" quite like this before. Co-writer Hillary Lindsey sings the moving ballad as a symphony gently lays down an arrangement beneath her. The stirring recreation — heard first exclusively on Taste of Country — is part of the a Music City Hit-Makers EP called Songs & Symphony.
Lindsey, who wrote "Girl Crush" with Lori McKenna and Liz Rose, says performing her song over award-winning studio musician Charles Judge's arrangement brought a whole new emotion to it.
"There’s nothing quite like performing a song you’ve written and hearing the powerful swells of the symphony behind you," she tells Taste of Country, adding that it’s an honor to work with Judge and Music City Hit-Makers founder and violinist Charles Dixon.
The new EP will be released on June 4 and features recreations of six 21st century hits like "I Hold On" (originally by Dierks Bentley, performed here by writer Brett James) and "When I Get Where I'm Going" (originally by Brad Paisley and Dolly Parton, performed here by Rivers Rutherford). The full track listing is below. On June 4, three of the writers and singers on the album will be performing at Nashville's City Winery.
Music City Hit-Makers Songs & Symphony EP Track List:
1. Brett James, "I Hold On" (originally by Dierks Bentley)
2. Jessi Alexander, "Mine Would Be You" (originally by Blake Shelton)
3. Chris DeStefano, "From the Ground Up" (originally by Dan + Shay)
4. Hillary Lindsey, "Girl Crush" (originally by Little Big Town)
5. Marcus Hummon, "Born to Fly" (originally by Sara Evans)
6. Rivers Rutherford, "When I Get Where I'm Going" (originally by Brad Paisley, Dolly Parton)
See 50 Essential 2000s Country Songs: