Bangor Baseball Goes Back-To-Back State Titles
The Bangor Rams scored four unearned runs in the fourth inning and then held on to beat South Portland 5-4 for the Class A baseball state championship.
The win gives the Rams back-to-back state titles.
The title game was played at Morton Field in Augusta. Andrew Hillier went the distance on the mound to get the win. A Trevor Delaite infield single that scored two runs in the fourth inning turned out to be the game winning hit.
After each team scored a run in the first inning, the Red Riots grabbed a 3-1 in the top of the fourth. A Ben Conti RBI triple and a Drew Abramson RBI single.
In the bottom of the inning, Bangor capitalized on two SoPo errors, two walks and two wild pitches and scored four times with two outs. The Rams led 5-3.
The Red Riots scored once in the seventh inning before a looping infield line drive was turned into a doubleplay to end the game.
With the 5-4 win, Bangor finishes at 18-2. South Portland finishes 15-5.
State Championship Day results...
- Class A - Bangor 5 South Portland 4 Final
- Class B - Greely 10 Camden Hills 0 Final
- Class C - St. Dom's 14 Bucksport 4 Final
- Class D - Searsport 4 Stearns 3 Final (8 Inn)
- Class A - Messalonskee 1 Scarborough 0 Final
- Class B - Yarmouth 7 Hermon 5 Final
- Class C - Bucksport 9 Telstar 4 Final
- Class D - Richmond 9 Stearns 4 FInal