Pot Becomes Legal in Maine. Next Steps.
Maine decided to legalize recreational marijuana last night, but don't go sparking up just yet! The new law will take effect within 40 days, but it will be August 8th before the regulations for marijuana -related business are set. Local authorities will issue licenses to establishments for onsite consumption and will have the power to regulate, limit or prohibit the operation of pot businesses.
Here are more details:
- this law effects adults over the age of 21
- Maine residents will be allowed to grow for personal use
- you may grow up to 6 plants, and/or 12 immature plants
- you may possess up to 2 1/2 oz of herbal cannabis
- the bill lets you smoke pot in a non-public place, and the same laws that apply to smoking tobacco apply to pot
- there will be a 10% sales tax on retail pot along with a 5% state sales tax
- you can transfer or furnish up to 2 1/2 oz to an adult over 21 with no payment of any kind
Here is the full text of Question 1.