Newborn Baby Seriously Burned After Freak Accident in Southern Maine
A two-week-old baby boy was critically burned Wednesday evening in a freak incident around a backyard fire pit in Sanford.
The state Fire Marshal's Office says 43-year-old Dirk Jelsing was holding the 14-day-old baby and his two-year-old son on the couch near an outdoor fire pit, when the accident took place at around 10:30 p.m. Sparks from the fire ignited Jelsing’s coat and seriously burned the newborn boy. The father and the two-year-old both sustained minor burns.
The baby, Cullum Jelsing, suffered second and third degree burns and was initially taken to Goodall Hospital in Sanford and later transferred to the Shriner’s Hospital in Boston.
Investigators say Jelsing had been drinking, but it has not been determined if that played a factor in the incident.
Fire Marshals say once their investigation is complete they will consult with the York County District Attorney’s Office to review possible charges. The Maine Department of Health and Human Services also was involved during the night and placed the two-year-old with other relatives.