Maine Father Says Toddler Died After Contracting E. coli At Fair
The father of a 20-month old boy says his son died after being exposed to E. coli at the Oxford County Fair in September.
Jon Guay of Poland, Maine told the Lewiston Sun Journal that his son, Colton, passed away after contracting HUS (Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome) when he was exposed to E.coli bacteria while petting farm animals at the fair.
In a Facebook post, Guay said "It is believed that he contracted it through simple interaction with farm animals at a local fair (based on other similar cases). It began with severe diarrhea and ended with massive brain seizures that ultimately took his life."
State officials have not confirmed the child contacted the illness from the fair, but they are investigating.