Grass Fire Near a Home in Chapman Burns One Acre
A grass fire Saturday afternoon that threatened a home on the Grendell Road in Chapman is being investigated by the Maine Forest Service.
The fire started in the grass and worked its way into the woods at the edge of the property. The Mapleton, Castle Hill and Chapman Fire Department responded to the blaze around 4:00 p.m. The homeowner was working with a garden hose to extinguish the fire when crews arrived. Firefighters remained on scene for about an hour to help mop up.
The Maine Forest Service said the fire burned about an acre and was likely caused by improperly discarded wood stove ashes.
Officials are warning against any outdoor burning in Aroostook County due to extremely dry conditions after more than 2 ½ weeks without any significant precipitation.