Firefighters from two departments worked quickly to save a home in Washburn Wednesday morning. 

Washburn Fire & Rescue/Facebook

Washburn Fire and Rescue received a call shortly before 10:30 a.m. of a structure fire at 32 Cross Road.  Crews arrived to find smoke and fire coming from the attic area surrounding a pellet stove chimney.

The fire crew gained access to the attic and quickly extinguished the blaze. Assistant Fire Chief Greg Sperrey said, “There is some smoke and water damage to the home but it was a very good save.”

Sperrey credits children living across the street, who were home from school,  for their quick response to call 911 immediately to report the fire.

The resident was not home at the time of the fire but two dogs that were in the home made it out safely.  Washburn fire officials say the home is insured and should be able to be repaired.

Mapleton Fire Company and Crown Ambulance assisted at the scene.