Fire Destroys Van Buren Restaurant [UPDATE]
Patrons of Bechard’s Diner along with those in six other buildings on Main Street in Van Buren were evacuated due to a fire midday Friday.
According to owner Richard Bechard, the fire started upstairs perhaps in the attic above an apartment which was being remodeled. A tenant along with her two dogs and about a dozen customers of the diner made it out of the restaurant safely.
Bechard said the fire appeared to be electrical in nature.
The Van Buren Fire Department along with St. Andre, New Brunswick Fire Department helped extinguish the blaze.
The building is a total loss. Bechard’s Diner (formerly known as 'Don and Donna's Diner') had opened for business May 28.