Fire Destroys Mapleton Family’s Home
A fire in the town of Mapleton early Thursday afternoon left two adults and a child homeless.
The Mapleton, Castle Hill and Chapman Fire Department responded to the blaze on Turner Street around noontime, and arrived to find the two-story house fully engulfed. Firefighters from Presque Isle, Caribou and Washburn were also on site and crews were rotated in and out of the house due to the intense heat.
Officials said the fire was difficult to fight because flames were trapped under the metal roof. The roof had to be removed so the fire could be fully extinguished.
No one was home at the time, but the family’s dog died in the blaze. The fire appears to have started in the dryer but that has yet to be confirmed.
The house belonging to Joey Langley and Danielle Clark was not insured and is considered to be a total loss. The family lost everything in the fire.
The Wintergreen Arts Center in Presque Isle is taking donations for the family. All household items are being accepted as well as gift cards and other necessities.
A 'Go Fund Me' page has also been set up by Danielle Clark's family members.