Early Morning Fire Damages Cross Lake Home
Three people were lucky to escape injury early this morning after a house fire at 3563 Caribou Road in Cross Lake.
According to North Lakes Fire and Rescue Fire Chief Darren Woods the call for help came in at 12:30 a.m. Monday. By the time fire crews arrived, the homes occupants, Jason St. Peter and two others, had made it out safely.
Crews made entry and knocked down the fire quickly but were on scene for an extended time, due to the sawdust insulation smoldering and making it difficult to completely extinguish. Luckily, firefighters were able to save most of home though there was heavy damage to two rooms. Firefighters were also able to save one cat, although a second cat is still missing.
Fire crews from St. Agatha and Fort Kent assisted the 14 North Lakes firefighters.
It is still unclear if the home was insured. Woods said that there were no working smoke detectors were in the home, but the home did have one working carbon monoxide detector. The cause of the fire is still being determined.