Country Pop Bites: Steve Wariner – May 11
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 1996 Steve Wariner joined the Grand Ole Opry?
Check out this Steve Wariner video!
Here are 5 interesting facts about Steve Wariner.
- Steven Noel Wariner's birthday is actually on Christmas Day.
- His hobbies include basketball and baseball, painting with watercolors and drawing, collecting guitars, magic and old cars.
- He owns an extensive collection of guitars, including the first one he ever learned to play, the first one he bought, one given to him by Chet Atkins, and his very own limited edition Takamine model.
- His musical influences include Roy Wariner, Chet Atkins, James Burton, Jerry Reed, The Beatles, Merle Haggard and Glen Campbell.
- Discovered by Dottie West at age 17 while playing in a club in Indianapolis. She hired him on the spot as her bass player, and he toured with her for three years. Steve went on to play bass in Bob Luman’s band. Through guitar virtuoso Paul Yandell, he met his idol, Chet Atkins, who hired Steve to play bass in his band. Chet eventually signed Steve to his first recording contract at RCA in 1977.