Country Pop Bites: Sammy Kershaw – April 24
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 1993 Sammy Kershaw picked up a #1 single in Billboard with "She Don't Know She's Beautiful"?
It's true! Check out the video!
Here are 5 interesting facts about Sammy Kershaw.
- Samuel Paul "Sammy" Kershaw was born February 24, 1958 in Kaplan, Louisiana.
- When he was 11, his grandfather gave him his first guitar.
- His father died when he was 11, so he had to work a variety of day jobs while playing roadhouses at night to support his family.
- He began performing in Acadiana with Louisiana legend J.B. Pere. Subsequently, he opened shows for Ray Price, Merle Haggard, and George Jones while barely into his teens.
- When the pressures of growing up fast took their toll in the form of a serious drug and alcohol problem, he quit his bad habits in 1988 and took a break from music to work as a remodeling supervisor at Wal-Mart.