Country Pop Bites: Mary Chapin Carpenter – June 1
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 2002 Mary Chapin Carpenter married contractor Timmy Smith in Batesville, Virginia?
It's true! In attendance: Terri Clark, actor Sissy Spacek, rocker Dave Matthews, and songwriters Beth Nielsen Chapman and Annie Roboff.
Check out this Mary Chapin Carpenter video!
Here are 5 interesting facts about Mary Chapin Carpenter.
- She actually lived in Japan for a few years at one point.
- She grew up listening to The Mamas & the Papas, The Beatles, and Judy Collins.
- She spent much of her time in high school playing the guitar and piano; while at Princeton Day School, her "classmates threatened to cut her guitar strings if she played "Leaving on a Jet Plane" one more time".
- She graduated from Brown University in 1981 with a degree in American Civilization.
- She was the author of a biweekly column in The Washington Times from December 2008 to March 2009 in which she discussed topics related to music and politics.