Country Pop Bites: Johnny Paycheck – January 12
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 1991 Johnny Paycheck was released from an Ohio prison after serving two years for shooting a man in a Hillsboro, Ohio, bar during December 1985?
It's true! Paycheck was originally sentenced to seven years.
Check out this Johhny Paycheck video!
Here are 5 interesting facts about Johnny Paycheck.
- His real name was Donald Eugene Lytle. He took his stage name from Chicago heavyweight boxer Johnny Paychek.
- During a stint in the Navy, Paycheck punched a superior officer -- resulting in two years in military prison.
- In 1985, Paycheck shot a man in the head during a barroom altercation (the victim lived). According to courtroom testimony, there had been an argument over turtle and deer meat. Paycheck was pardoned after serving only two.
- Despite of his brushes with the law, Paycheck joined the pantheon of mainstream country -- the Grand Ole Opry in 1997.
- In 2003, the singer died from complications due to asthma and emphysema. His burial was paid for by longtime friend George Jones.