Country Pop Bites: Hank Williams Jr. – February 16
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 2002 Hank Williams Jr. made his first appearance on the Grand Ole Opry in more than 20 years?
It’s true! He joined Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart to pay tribute to the late Waylon Jennings for more than an hour at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium. Check out the video.
Here are 5 things you might not have known about Hank Williams Jr.
- He was born on May 26, 1949, in Shreveport, Louisiana.
- He was just 3 years old when his father died.
- He started performing his father, Hank Sr.'s songs on stage at age 8.
- He was severely injured in a mountain-climbing accident in Montana in 1975, and it took two years and nine major surgeries to reconstruct his face. The accident resulted in his new trademark look, which included a full beard, cowboy hat and dark glasses.
- He has been married 3 times and has 4 children.