Country Pop Bites: George Jones – February 6
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 1980 George Jones recorded "He Stopped Loving Her Today" ?
It's true! It was at the Columbia Recording Studio in Nashville. He bet producer Billy Sherrill that the record won't go to #1.
Check out the video!
Here are 5 interesting facts about the late, great George Jones.
- He was a 12-pound breech baby, and the doctor had to break his arm to get him out.
- His father sometimes chased him while in inebriated rages, but also introduced him to Grand Ole Opry on the radio, and bought him his first guitar.
- As a teenager, Jones got a job playing guitar on a local radio show in Beaumont, Texas.
- He had 14 number one hits on the country charts stretching over nearly a quarter-century, from 1959′s “White Lightning” to the 1983 single “I Always Get Lucky with You.”
- He married four times, including fellow country great Tammy Wynette (1969-1975). His marriages ranged in length from one year (Dorothy Bonvillon, 1950-51) to three decades (Nancy Sepulvado, 1983 until his death.