Country Pop Bites: Chely Wright – May 4
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 2010 Random House published Chely Wright's autobiography, "Like Me: Confessions Of A Heartland Country Singer"?
It’s true! In the process, she became the first-ever openly gay commercial country artist. Check out this timeless Chely Wright video!
Here are 5 little known truths about Chely Wright.
- Her real name is Richell Rene Wright and she was born on October 25, 1970 in Kansas City, Missouri.
- By the time she was 14, Wright was singing in her own group called County Line.
- She teamed up with Brad Paisley for the 2000 duet, "Hard to Be a Husband, Hard to be a Wife." The two singers dated around this time as well.
- In 2006, she almost attempted suicide as she was depressed. This is when she decided to be truthful and open about her sexuality. She came out that she was openly gay in 2010.
- She married Lauren Blitzer, an author and activist, in August 2011.