Country Pop Bites: Charlie Rich – April 28
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 1973 Charlie Rich ascended to #1 on the Billboard country chart with "Behind Closed Doors"?
It’s true! Check out the video!
Here are 5 little known facts about Charlie Rich.
- He was born on December 14, 1932, in Colt, Arkansas, as the son of music-loving rural cotton farmers.
- He briefly studied music at the University of Arkansas before quitting school to join the United States Air Force.
- He married his high school sweetheart, Margaret Ann, with whom he raised two sons and two daughters over their 43 years of marriage.
- Before he made it big, he managed to get himself signed with Sun as a studio musician, where he played piano and sang back-up vocals for artists including Lewis, Justis, Carl Mann and Johnny Cash.
- On July 25, 1995, Rich died suddenly of a blood clot in his lungs.