Country Pop Bites: Alabama – February 11
Did you know that on this day in Country Music History in 1989 Alabama's "Song Of The South" hit #1 on the Billboard country chart?
It’s true! It did! This is definitely a classic song! Check out the video!
Here are 5 things you might not have known about Alabama.
- The band was formed in 1969 by Jeff Cook, Randy Owen and Teddy Gentry and initially were called Young Country.
- In 1973 they quit their day jobs and became full time musicians.
- In 1979 ex rock band drummer Mark Herndon was added to the band, this followed a number of previous unsuccessful attempts at recruiting a drummer.
- They released their first hit single "Tennessee River" in 1980 under RCA Records.
- Alabama was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2005.