Caribou Fire Damages Home on U.S. Route 1
A section of Route 1 between Caribou and Presque Isle was shut down Tuesday evening while firefighters worked to contain a fire at a home near the Caribou-Presque Isle line.
Caribou Fire Chief Scott Susi said a mother and her children made it out of the house safely shortly after 5:30 p.m. and called to report a fire in their kitchen.
Firefighters arrived at the ranch-style home at 1405 Presque Isle Road to find the kitchen fully involved, with the flames spreading to an exterior wall. Twenty members of the Caribou Fire Department responded along with a tanker and crew from the Presque Isle Fire Department.
The Department of Transportation set up a detour from the Washburn Road intersection in Presque Isle to the Doyle Road in Caribou to allow crews to battle the blaze. Susi said firefighters were able to save the house and contain the damage to the kitchen and living room area.
The Fire Chief reported the fire was caused by cooking grease left unattended on the kitchen stove. No one was injured. The Red Cross was notified of the family’s needs.
Washburn Fire and Rescue provided mutual aid at the Caribou Fire Station.