Aroostook County Man Who Suffered Serious Burns Has Died
A Blaine man has died after being critically burned yesterday afternoon.
The State Fire Marshal’s office says 72-year-old Reginal Otis was burned while using a torch to cut up on an old heating oil tank on Tuesday. He was flown by helicopter to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston with burns to 80 per cent of his body.
Fire investigators say it appears the torch ignited vapors as the oil tank was being cut apart at Otis’ home on Brook Loop.
It was unclear what type of flammable liquid remained in the tank.
Otis was first taken by ambulance to The Aroostook Medical Center and then flown by the LifeFlight helicopter to Boston.
Officials say Otis passed away overnight.